Thursday, September 20, 2012

GAZETTE COLUMN: THE FLYING CHAIR by John P. Flannery

John Flannery (Photo: Holly Flannery)

About a year and a half ago, I talked about a longing I had harbored for several springs, to ride a motorcycle; our rolling countryside reminded me of another time and place when I was younger and rode such hills and country elsewhere.

You may know or imagine what it’s like to be on a motorcycle, a part of what you see, no longer a mere observer in a controlled environment, confined by a windshield; instead, you are exposed, in the space surrounding, pushed by winds at the rush of the bike and the changeable weather, able to see to the clouds above, the road below, and the horizon that lays ahead, catching the scent of field grasses, magnolia and honey suckle, and feeling the tilt of the bike as you lean into the turn. 

In a car, you are surrounded by sameness, the radio, phone, all of it a homogenous extension of what you experience all the time wherever you are, at home, in your car, at the office.

When you ride alone on a bike, it revives your spirit, and helps you to expel the toxic nonsense that confounds our lives.  When you share a ride with someone, the wind and the bike insulate each of you even though you share the experience.  While riders ride with other bikers, I’ve always thought riding was most about going solo and that you were better for it.  Not surprisingly, there is a community among riders even when they don’t know each other, never saw each other before.  Riders reach out their left hands when they pass each other on the road in opposite directions, as if waving toward the shared road and toward each other, acknowledging another rider, saying hello.

I really think riding a bike is like flying (though firmly bound to the road).  A most charming Irish friend from Dublin, who lives in Loudoun, rides a Triumph; in his delightful brogue, he’ll tell you that riding his bike is like riding a “Flying Chair.”  

I rode for years while I was a student, but the most exceptional experience I had was when I “did the continent” after engineering school, before I began Columbia law.

After a prop flight from NY to Heathrow, I bought a BSA in London, bound my duffel bag to the back of the bike with bungee cords, drove to Dover’s white cliffs, caught a ferry to Calais and there launched a three month tour of Europe.  I was ready for anything because I had a bed roll for those nights there’d be no inn or youth hostel.  One night in the South of France, it was so pitch black dark on the country road, I pulled off into a field, picking my way as carefully as I could; I was awakened the next morning, however, by cattle surrounding my bedroom in their breakfast eating hall.

My renewed impulse to ride prompted many invitations to try a classic (a Harley, Triumph, or BMW, and many others), even a bike that looked more like jet engines on wheels.  I was leery, however, of being over-mounted.  So last September, I found a 250 cc Suzuki at Loudoun Motorsport in Leesburg.

While I have managed to drop my bike in the dirt once quite soundly, I’ve found the rest of my rides all that I hoped for. 

I can easily offer you a taste of the marvelous landscape I’m talking about if you’ll just try a (slow) ride on Loyalty Road north from Waterford to Taylorstown. 

The road rises and falls and twists like a friendly roller coaster through brilliant pastures, well-tended lawns, sweeping vistas, and historic homes.  It just has to be experienced.  If there’s anything that reminds me of that continental tour I took years ago, it is this exquisite ride north along Loyalty. 

If there’s anything that should enliven a community’s interest in restoring and preserving our county’s verdant and historic legacy, it is signified by this short expanse of road and the environs.

You may not be able to take this jaunt on a bike, as I have, but if you do try it this Fall in a car, turn off everything, i.e., your music, phone, air conditioning, and throw open the windows, slow down the speed, and let your senses inhale and experience something that is, albeit remotely, like what you’d enjoy if you were on a motorcycle instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment